The Quality Engineer (and Senior QE) assures product, process, documentation, and records conform to Western Extrusions’ quality standards, IATF 16949, and Customer Specific Requirements (CSR). He/she is responsible for maintaining a collaborative relationship with the cross-functional team which facilitates organizational success through a focus on customer requirement achievement.
- Works as a team member within a manufacturing environment and promotes:
Safe Work Practices
Advises and assists manufacturing, engineering, sales, and customer service teams and leadership on best practices, continual improvement, and customer expectations.
- Is a decision maker who bases decisions on data and analysis.
- Develops standards, procedures and processes which focus on exceeding customer quality expectations of the organization.
- Uses techniques such as Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Statistical Methods (SPC, MSA, DOE, etc), disciplined problem solving to Continually Improve the products and processes.
- May interact directly with customers during product requirement planning, process development, initial product trial runs, serial production authorization, product and process improvement and end of life product planning.
- May supervise teams of individuals regularly or in ad-hoc situations, especially as it relates to problem solving or continual improvement activities.
- Sets an example for others in terms of standard work, data driven decision making, customer focus and team work.
- Collects, Analyzes, and Prepares data for decision making, leadership and customers.
- Presents recommendations and findings in a clear and convincing manner to shop floor, leadership, customers and executives.
- Trains and develops individuals in quality process techniques, including but not limited to: standard work, problem solving, gauge usage, inspection techniques, Core Tools and Lean.
- Experience within a manufacturing environment which supplied automotive and/or aerospace with preference given to automotive customer quality.
- In-depth knowledge of problem solving techniques which may include:
6 Sigma (Senior QE)
- Knowledge and experience using the Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG) Core Tools.
- Facilitator Training and experience to lead teams in problem solving and APQP activities.
- Auditing experience and training in IATF 16949, ISO 14001, ISO 18001, ISO 9001, Layered Process Audits (LPA) and Supplier Quality System Audits. Lead Auditor (1st and 2nd Party for Senior QE)
- Lean training and experience, especially with the Toyota Production System (TPS) or like system (Senior QE)
- The principle language is English. Preference will be given to bi-lingual Spanish and English individual.
- Training and experience in people development.
Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university. Preference given to educations with specialization in quality and/or industrial engineering with quality focus.
This position will report within the Continual Improvement Organization and is expected to support other functions. The job requires working within a manufacturing environment which may include exposure to industrial noise, vibration, temperature and waste. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Lifting, standing, turning and bending on a shop floor for extended periods of time may be required. Travel, at short notice, to customer facilities is required. Travel may include international travel to other USMCA countries.